Now I'm a sucker for anything that tries to make more simple organising and annotating the chaos that is the net. And these guys have come up with a very cool tool that does a number of excellent things, in just the way I want.
Furl lets me set up an account and add URL's to it with the click of a bookmarklet (Yay for Opera 7.2 it supports them at last). Memigo does the same, but Furl has taken it the next step. Memigo just offers me the URL and Page Title, but Furl gives me a fleet of options.
I happened to be checking the CNET story on MSN's new multilingual search options so I selected some text and clicked the bookmarklet to launch the Furl dialogue and this is what turned up. Click the image to get a new window with the full sized version.
- It automatically loads the page title, which I can edit if I like
- loads the URL
- gives me a dropdown list for rating the content (Radio buttons would be easier)
- another to assign it to a category
- plus an option to create a fresh category on the spot
- a field for comments
- an option for private (logged in or shared list) vew only
- automatically pastes in the selected text
- offers me save (to my list), email (second form for addresses) or save and email
- closes itself once I have done
To top it off there are options for people to sign up for a daily digest of my browsing via email or an RSS feed of the list which you can drop into your aggregator or add to your website or blog and automatically update.
In the words of Billy Connolly YYYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!! I did some work 18 months ago for a client and made some recommendations for tools to add resources to their database. This is what I said then.
Investigate an “Add Resources” plugin, or encourage members to add a link to their personal toolbars which is permanently available in the browser. (Bookmarklet) This tool would be able to
- Launch a popup from any page
- Automatically pick up the URL (not editable)
- Automatically insert the page title (editable)
- Include a comment field
- Include the rating options.
- Enable 2 click contributions (one to launch the popup, one to rate the resource and close the window)
Furl has been reading my mail, and gone a couple better. Take a 10.